Saturday, April 08, 2006

Guitar - Black Squire

My backup guitar is a black Squire Strat Affinity (with white tap plate), made in China. I bought it second hand for $120, I've seen new versions for price between $300 - $500, with mine in the lower third of range.

I've never really had much of a go on it. In it's younger days it tended to saw through strings a lot and have very high action which was quite difficult after the low action Fernandez. Rob, who was with Requiem from mid 02 to 04, adjusted the action down, which made it more comfortable.

It has a harsher sound to it, good for long hard sustain power chord type stuff. It's main disadvantages are that it is a bit heavier, I don't trust it not to break strings, it's electrics occasionally have a bit of crackle and, most significantly, it goes through periods when it doesn't hold tune at all.

I've never really developed a relationship with it, but it's been good as a backup in gigs.

No comments: