Saturday, May 26, 2007

Unintentional Cookie Distribution

Sorry! Sitemeter have been using this blog, and millions of others, to distribute a cookie into viewer's machines - without permission implied or actual to do so. I believe they have now updated their user agreement, but only following a storm of protest. As far as I'm concerned the damage is done, and when I get around to it I'll be removing their stacounter from this site and (perhaps) replacing it with something which only does what it says and doesn't use you unwittingly for someone else's commercial benefit.

Anyway - if you're wondering what a 'cookie' is, it's a little 'program' that sits inside your computer and reports back to its host about what your computer does. They can be very handy things, but there's no benefit to you or me I believe with the one sitemeter have distributed. It is called specificclick. It won't kill either you or your computer, but if you want to know more about it and how to get rid of it, click here.

Oh - and don't forget The Negotiators are playing down at Club 168 at Port Adelaide this coming Friday (June 1) from 10 pm!

2 comments:

R said...

Hi, I'm from GoStats. If your looking for a good site meter alternative, you may wnat to check us out.

Adelaide Gamer said...

There's one in every crowd, m8.