Friday, March 10, 2006

Gaslight Jam, March 9, 2006 & Promoting the gig


Gaslight flyer, produced for local distribution

That's us! We played the Gaslight Tavern at its regular Thursday night jam on March 9. We were the first of the jammers to get on stage. There were between 60 and 70 people there at the time we played our four songs. Lot's of fun. We did a couple of Divinyls' numbers, Green Day and Janis Joplin. How's that for ecletic? Also, pretty high energy. It was great to be back there, even though I somehow managed to bust my 'bottom E' string on the second song. Lucky my old guitar can more or less hold its tune without one string (most guitars go way out of whack immediately). With only four songs, there's neither time to change guitars nor strings. Must be something about the way I play ...

The above picture is based on a poster we'd made. We photocopied thirty something pages at eight pictures to a page. We then distributed them around the pub and letter boxed the rest in the blocks around the pub. Marian, the publican, was I think impressed that someone was having a real go at promoting themselves playing at her pub.

I mean, at this time of year there's a lot of competition in Adelaide...what with Womad and The Fringe. Speaking of the Fringe, in the little I've seen of it it seems to have become a more pretentious scene than it was. Probably goes with its corporatisation. Am I giving away my age to say I remember when it was more laid back and less expensive? Anyway, in the true spirit of the Fringe we played for the fun of it tonight, to a rocky crowd who were there to have a good time.

Marian won't know it, but the endless grind of promoting a band has continued through the week. We're on various of the hard copy as well as internet gig guides (I even had to 'register' the pub to do so on at least one site). We get a wee plug in a workplace newsletter at the place where one of us works. Some of our posters are turning up at uni. The email chains are at work. Considering the competition, I wonder if we will be able to make a hundred?Posted by Picasa

No comments: